normal

What's Happening at Google Thread

normal    346

Realised there's a need for this thread.

Google are rumoured to be creating an iOS app for Android smartwear. Probably a smart move as iPhone users are more likely to splash cash than Android users.

RobM    195

I think this is a great move. I still can't see myself wearing a smartwatch over my usual watch (Panerai, love it...!), but I have been tempted to give one a go. Having access to Android Wear devices opens up a massive new selection to me, as an iOS user.

I also think it's essential for the long-term future of Android Wear. I think being tied to a single mobile OS will be a limiting factor in the long-run, as people change phones far more often than they change watches. If smart watches really are the essential device everyone will rely on in the future, they need to be as cross-platform as possible.

Apple should take note, but also have brand loyalty on their side more than Android as a whole does, IMO.

normal    346

Android Pay is now live in the UK. No Barclays support of course but all the other major banks are.

Also not much noise about Google's conference today. What are people expecting? I'm expecting VR stuff, home automation and something to do with artificial intelligence searching...

Rvn    103

A few notable exceptions such as Santander. Barclays are hoping to launch their own contactless payment system, but when or if it will actually come to pass is anyone's guess. Good luck with that you greedy b*******. Why did Apple Pay take off so much better in the US than here?

satsuma    178

Santader and NatWest not launch partners either - will come later

Barclays will offer contactless payments through combo of its own app + suitable NFC-equipped Android phone in June

TBH cannot see much difference in day-to-day user experience.

satsuma    178

A few notable exceptions such as Santander. Barclays are hoping to launch their own contactless payment system, but when or if it will actually come to pass is anyone's guess. Good luck with that you greedy b*******. Why did Apple Pay take off so much better in the US than here?

USA has been very slow to catch up with EMV (chip and pin)

Lots of people still use swipe and sign.

Rvn    103

USA has been very slow to catch up with EMV (chip and pin)Lots of people still use swipe and sign.

What about the huge list of banks that support Apple Pay?

normal    346

I like using Apple Pay and contactless payment cards. I'm really frustrated that they're not used here in Estonia. Some bull about security issues etc... Basically can't be bothered to roll it out. The country is virtually cashless already.

satsuma    178

What about the huge list of banks that support Apple Pay?

And there's more coming on line every few months but there's a lot of people using legacy cards and legacy payment infrastructure - especially outside the main cities.

Rvn    103

And there's more coming on line every few months but there's a lot of people using legacy cards and legacy payment infrastructure - especially outside the main cities.

Ok that makes more sense. So if Samsung manages to get the same support from banks etc I presume their newer smartphones would work with existing swipe card infrastructure as well as contactless.

satsuma    178

Holy thread bump!

Google's new Nexus phones, now called the Pixel and Pixel XL are due on 4th October. Better camera and screen perhaps? Made by HTC this time.

https://madeby.google.com

Will be very expensive apparently.

Apple can charge a lot because no one else makes iOS phone.

Samsung can charge a lot because they have amazing industrial design, innovative features and have spent a lot on their brand.

Not quite sure why a re-badged HTC called Pixel is worth a lot more than other Androids from Lenovo, Sony, LG, Huawei etc

satsuma    178

Regular updates and possibly some new unique features?

Yeah but various Android blogs are talking about a starting price of $649 for the smaller model. :o

From what I read it's generic Android with a nice ID.

It will need to be something special to charge that kind of premium when a One Plus 3 is nearly half the price.

jonmorris    184

So much of the leaked info makes me NOT like these phones at all. Sure, faster performance with Snapdragon 820/821 but it seems like a step back in the audio stakes with the new weird HTC/Apple speaker set up. The 6P is amazing in this regard.

I know people thought the 6P was ugly, but what has happened this time around?

Plus, Google got hit hard when it went from selling affordable devices like the Nexus 4 and 5 and the Nexus 7s and the Nexus 10 to expensive phones and tablets. It said it had realised the mistake and would fix it. Then we got told we'd be seeing new affordable devices and tablets, until Nexus became Pixel and it seems that high prices are back.

Sorry, Google, but that's not going to work and you KNOW it isn't going to work! You said so yourself!!

normal    346

Another interesting snippet. Google is likely to launch mesh wifi routers for the home. Mix that in with Google home and Chromecast and you could have something very tasty.

RobM    195

Same problem here, my current house (moving out this coming week, yay!) is small, but made of thick cinderblock walls. I have three AP's to cover it, two of which are in adjoining rooms as the walls literally block 90% signal from one to the other.

I've resorted to multiple AP's and Homeplugs to get around it, but would prefer something more elegant.

The place I'm moving into is much, much bigger, so I'll have a different problem to get over.

satsuma    178

So it seems that these phones will be premium priced but not really premium featured. Most of the slides show standard Google Mobile Services that I can get on any phone. The specs are high end but no higher end than plenty of others. The industrial design seems somewhat bland.

Rvn    103

If I was in the market for a new Android phone I'd probably get the Motorola G4 instead of a Pixus.

jonmorris    184

From the online leaks they seem very meh and very HTC. Not interested one bit.

Indeed. Boring and overpriced (if those rumours are to be believed). Not interested at all.

I snapped up the Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 5, Nexus 6P on launch day. Skipped the Nexus 5X, 6, 9 and 10. Now skipping these.

I can't imagine there being any killer feature on these. It's not as if I'm thinking my current phones lack power, so not even Snapdragon 821 appeals (well, maybe for the Cat 9-12? LTE, but I can live without this for a bit).

What is Google thinking I wonder? These are a new premium line (as Pixel always was meant to be) but lacks any redeeming features at all. I can only imagine Google is doing good deals with networks, with the hope to make a few more quid in a saturated market. Good luck with that!