hecatae

Android 5.0 on the Nexus 7 2012 Nakasi 32gb model

hecatae    9

I own a Nexus 7,

I picked it up in March this year, £100 from a well known retailer, 32gb storage, introduced with Android 4.1.2, interesting bootloader.

Over the year I have tested it out with several wireless routers to check performance, due to wireless congestion in the location that I live. Openwrt works best by the way, but that's a story for another time.

Google released Lollipop factory images for the Nexus 4, and the Nexus 7 2012, lets call it Nakasi from now on, it's far less words :)

Installing it is a case of grabbing the factory image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images making sure you have a working fastboot and adb, unlocking the bootloader, run the shell script, and locking the bootloader afterwards.

Within the first hour, the stock launcher has crashed, the setup process is meant to find updates before you add your account details, it doesn't, your device is not encrypted automatically, new devices only apparently, and it's still running the same kernel version it was released with 2 years ago, 3.1.10...

Other than that, Lollipop is pretty different, battery life is the same as KitKat, and quite a few applications in the Play Store are incompatible for unknown reasons.

And I can now make calls using the hangouts dialer?

Milhouse    355

I've just received the OTA "Android 5.0 System Update" notification on my Nexus 7 2013.

Will install it a bit later on (bit busy now).

phil8715    7

I wish they'd pull their finger out for it to drop on my N7 2012.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Milhouse    355

Not intending to hi-jack the thread, but installed Lollipop on my Nexus 7 FHD WiFi unit this morning.

That's nice, but how is it - any problems?The BBC has an article reporting numerous problems being reported by users after upgrading to Lollipop so I may put it off until next year...

Rvn    103

It might be better to wait if you need to use your tablet. My 10 doesn't connect to WiFi anymore after the update but my 5 does!

Milhouse    355

Looks like 5.0.1 is imminent which may fix many of the initial problems - still not going to rush to install it though, maybe next week if feedback is positive.

MadDog    464

Bargain Nexus 7 seem to be hard to come by at the moment - no-one on here or AV Forums seems to be selling either

mcgrad    74

Bargain Nexus 7 seem to be hard to come by at the moment - no-one on here or AV Forums seems to be selling either

Groupon are doing the 8GB 1st Gen Nexus 7 for £50, including case.

deebo007    15

Closest thing to a Nexus 7 is the Asus Memopad 7 me572c. Same size, though now with a quad core Intel Atom processor. Picked one up for the mother-in-law from John Lewis for £150 on sale. Has micro-SD slot too, which is a bonus.

Rvn    103

There's a couple of nice looking Yogas at JL for under £250. But is the vaunted 18hr battery life realistic?

MadDog    464

I was looking for a tablet that will get lollipop - think the nexus is the only one that is guaranteed to get it?

normal    345

Pretty much. Samsung will probably bring some version eventually, but I'd go with the Nexus 7 too if you're looking for cheap Lollipop.

Milhouse    355

Is Android 5.x now considered safe to install on my Nexus 7 2013? :)

What's the general opinion, any more show stopper bugs or have they all been squashed with updates to 5.0?

kradcliffe    152

Flashed 5.1 on both the 16gb & 32gb N7 2013 with release LRX22C a few days ago then rooted them with the Nexus Root Toolkit. They both work fine, no issues so far.

Milhouse    355

Right, I finally updated on Friday night to 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 2013 and... so wishing I hadn't. :(

WiFi keeps flaking out so apps think I'm offline. I've lost posts in Tapatalk, emails don't download fully, and JuiceSSH sessions won't stay connected for longer than 10 minutes. I've also seen the WiFi indicator confirm that the WiFi has disconnected, so it seems to be a system problem.

This is just piss poor, how many attempts do they need to get such a basic feature working reliably?

Stay with KitKat if you haven't upgraded. I really don't like the new notification pull-down either.. and the new task-switcher view is farking awful.

Shock    36

2012/2013?

Above it says 2012, in post 2013.

I upgraded my 2012 N7 to 5.02 against the advice of many on the interweb. But so far no issues..

MadDog    464

I've not seen any issues with the wife's 2013 Nexus

In standby, the battery life is amazing!

Milhouse    355

Switched the Nexus from 5GHz 11n WiFi to 2.4GHz 11n and WiFi connection stability is now much improved. KitKat never had a problem with 5GHz.

Sorry to see that typing text in the middle of a sentence can still bring a quad-core processor to it's knees, had hoped this would be fixed in Lollipop. All apps have this behaviour, although Tapatalk is particularly bad. Seems to be the predictive text going nuts, maybe its because I use the Swype keyboard (I could never go back to tap-tap-tap).