normal

News: Microsoft Smartwatch Imminent

normal    346

Forbes is reporting that Microsoft is expected to launch their own smartwatch within the next few weeks, and before the American holiday season.

What makes the rumoured watch particularly exciting is that it is expected to work with Android and iOS, as well as Windows Phone. This would make it the first cross platform smartwatch from one of the major tech companies.

It's also rumoured to have a heart rate monitor and two days battery life. Given the current problems with many smartwatches, some of which fail to last a whole day, and Apple's reluctance to give a battery life on it's Watch, this makes Microsoft's the one to (ehm) watch.

Click here to view the news

Milhouse    355

Surely there's a struggling smart watch pioneer Microsoft could buy? ;)

A Microsoft Smartwatch... this could be quite amusing.

Milhouse    355

Isn't it also quite sad how these huge companies (Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Google) keep aping each other until they're all selling identical products, then one of them will come up with something new/innovative (or in truth, a small startup will struggle for years with a concept before it is shamelessly ripped off by one of the giants) and the cycle will begin again.

How about Microsoft or Samsung actually coming up with something unique and innovative for once?

kradcliffe    152

Agreed. It's the same in the oil industry where I work. Companies spend millions on vanity projects to "have something" everyone else has whether it's a benefit or not.

Microsoft need to concentrate on the core of the business and get people back on side, rather than splashing even more money on something that will probably be a white elephant like RT.

Getting Windows in to a decent shape to help PC manufacturers and stop everyone defecting to Mac would be a good start. I have used Windows since the early days and nothing has been so off the track than Windows 8 TIFKAM being pushed to desktop users. I know 2 apps for £5.00 pretty much fix it but that's not the point.

normal    346

So. It's launched for $199 in the US. 

Posted Image

Key things to know. It's basically a health band which works with all mobile OS's. Battery life lasts 48 hours. It has lots of sensors in to measure heart rate, sleep, GPS (does not need to be tethered to phone), UV etc. You can also receive phone/email/twitter etc notifications on it and it links to Cortana (via built in mic). It's splash / dust proof (no swimming).

Microsoft health will work with third party apps to record all the data in one place, much like Apple Health and Google's health thing. It's not an Apple Watch competitor, but will be up against all the other health bands.

Jimbo    19

It looks pretty comprehensive and it's great that it is designed to be cross platform from the start. Looks a little bulky, so I wonder how comfortable and robust it will be.

RobM    195

I think it looks a really good offering, not the mess some predicted. Good that they got it out to market quite quickly too, as there'll be a list of other competing products offering the same sort of specifications soon.