normal

News: Apple Have Another Event with (almost) No Surprises

normal    346

As widely predicted, Apple's event today launched a new iPad Air, iPad mini, iMac and Mac mini, but there were one or two surprises on the way.

.Given every man and his dog has already covered this evening (and I've been travelling all day) I'll point you to Apple's webpages and give you a very brief summary.

iMac - Basically the big news is that there's a new version, to go alongside the slightly upgraded standard versions, which has a 5k display. That's 5k, not 4k. The painful bit is that the new 27" retina screen costs an extra £400 than the standard 27" version, meaning it will cost £2k (see what I did there! ;) ) for the 'basic' model. As a side note, there's no dedicated 5k display for Mac Pro users.....

Mac mini - There's been a minor spec bump with more power and better connectivity, and they've dropped the price slightly too by £100. Not bad really if you're looking for a desktop.

Whilst we're talking macs, it's worth mentioning that Yosemite should be available to download by now as a free upgrade. As much as I want to download it, and using it's handover with iOS8, I won't until all the bugs become apparent. I'm starting to treat Apple like I used to treat Microsoft and wait for the first major update. Shame on you Apple.

iPad mini 3 - It's basically the same as the iPad mini 2, but has a Touch ID sensor, and is also available in gold. That's it, really. Nothing else. Apple will continue to sell the mini 2 and original mini, but will drop prices. The iPad mini 2 looks like a bit of a bargain compared to the mini 3 unless you really want that touch ID (but the biggest size is now 32GB....)

iPad Air 2 - Strangely, this excites me. It's got a new A8x processor (supposedly better than the iPhone 6's A8), an improved 8MP rear camera knicked out of the iPhone 6 (no OIS), and it's super skinny. I mean it's skinnier than the iPhone 6. It's also got the same styling of screen as the iPhone 6, and I'm preying they've changed the screen glass compared to the original Air, which felt a bit meh. Of course it's also got Touch ID and improved wifi connectivity.

Other things worth noting, battery life remains the same on the iPads, but the Cellular versions of the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 also include an Apple SIM. What's that? Well, it's a sim which lets you add temp data packages on it from different networks. Only EE is an option in the UK, but it's also got a couple of US networks as options, and you can bet other networks around the world will be added. This could be really interesting for international travellers, and it's significant as all networks had been fighting against such an idea in the iPhone. So watch this space!

Posted Image

Whilst Touch ID isn't the end all and be all. Having used it on an iPhone 6 now for a couple of weeks, I'm finding it really useful as lock, and also to activate certain features in some apps. Where I think this could have a significant effect though is in business. When paired with the partnership with IBM, I can see a lot of businesses getting excited by this, for different security and user profile purposes.

Another thing worth noting, I'm now lusting for a 4K display for my desktop now.... :rolleyes:

Click here to view the news

Seeph    5

So if what I'm reading elsewhere is correct, the mini 2 now goes down to £239? As you say, that's a pretty good deal. The leap from 2 to 3 is nowhere near what it was from 1 to 2. I personally don't think it's worth the extra for a 3 unless I'm missing something.

RobM    195

I have to agree... the new Mini doesn't interest me that much since I have an iPhone 6+, but at £239 it's almost worth having a Mini 2 knocking around for the sake of it.

normal    346

Currys/PC World have confirmed they'll be getting the new iPads at launch

17th October 2014: Currys PC World have today confirmed they will be stocking the two new Apple iPad products – the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 - and will be offering pre-orders as of this afternoon.

The new models both promise faster chips, better cameras, Touch ID and now come in three colours - Grey, White and Gold. The pre-order services online at Currys.co.uk and PCWorld.co.uk will ensure delivery of the new product from Thursday 23nd October 2014. Stock hits selected stores the day before.

Currys PC World customers can now pre-order the following models in the new iPad range - the iPad Air 2 16GB (£399) and 64GB (£479); the iPad Mini 3 16GB (£319) and 64GB (£399). Larger 128GB size models will be in store (and available for order) from Weds – iPad Air 2 128GB (£559) and iPad Mini 3 128GB (£479).  Details around the cellular models of the new iPads are yet to be confirmed.

normal    346

How are people getting on with Yosemite? I'm hearing rumblings about wifi problems. Any comments?

RobM    195

How are people getting on with Yosemite? I'm hearing rumblings about wifi problems. Any comments?

Been using it since the early DP's and it has been really solid. There were a few WiFi gremlins in some earlier builds, but nothing in the last 4 or 5.

normal    346

Some people have said that they experienced no problems during the DP's but then did on the public release.... I'll hold off a bit until Apple starts to respond.

satsuma    178

I would quite like to get an iPad Air 2 but it seems that accessories are in very short supply.

Don't really want to buy one with a cover/fold-out QWERTY keyboard attachment.

For the original Air, Logitech seemed to do the best one but nothing on their website about a new keyboard for the Air 2.

Also I know I would prefer a larger-screen iPad but predicting the arrival of an iPad Pro seems to be a mugs game  :P

kradcliffe    152

The more I think about this I think Apple have lost something here. With all that cash in the bank why are the Air so carp. This was a perfect chance to get one over Windows but an opportunity missed. And that's from  someone who doesn't like Mac OS. 

satsuma    178

I honestly think Apple would have liked to something a bit more radical.

But I don't think their release cycle allowed them too plus why change a winning formula?

iPad growth may be plateaued but it's still outselling, and producing far better margins, than any other tablet.

RobM    195

Apple don't need to do anything radical. They've evolved two already class-leading products and they'll continue to be the highest selling tablets around. From a business perspective it must have cost very little but will bring in a lot.

They certainly don't need to compete with Microsoft, IMO. Microsoft are going after the tablet-laptop-hybrid space with the Surface, whereas Apple are selling tablets and laptops as independent devices that now work closer alongside each other. It's Surface vs Macbook Air, not iPad. Microsoft are saying you don't need both, Apple are saying buy both and use them together.

Also, until the inevitable consolidation of OS X and iOS into a single platform, what else can be done to tablet hardware to radically change things that hasn't already been done?

satsuma    178

The main things Apple could do to "improve" the iPad:

1) Split-screen for apps a la Samsung

2) Larger screen version - the 13" rumoured one

3) Support for an official Apple stylus and software to support it - seems like 3rd party support is getting really quite good now anyway but it costs.

4) Water-proofing

Beyond that you have to something really revolutionary like gesture control that actually works, folding tablet, etc.

RobM    195

All of those things would be very welcome for sure, but would any of them changed the feeling of the iPad range after this recent event, had they been announced? I'm not sure they would, it would still feel like evolution, just with more talking points perhaps.

I would still like to see a larger (12-13") version as a removable screen as part of a Macbook. Given how thin the Air 2 now is, Apple could do so without making the Pro range any bulkier.

Combine that with really good stylus support (inc. pressure sensitivity for detailed drawing) and you've got one hell of an all-rounder. Even more so if your iOS iPad apps can run alongside your OS X Apps when docked. 

Milhouse    355

5) Wireless charging! Or would Apple take a hit on overpriced cable sales? Though I'm sure Apple would "invent" a proprietary wireless charging solution. :(

satsuma    178

5) Wireless charging! Or would Apple take a hit on overpriced cable sales? Though I'm sure Apple would "invent" a proprietary wireless charging solution. :(

Yeah wireless charging is something long overdue on Apple products

normal    346

Apple have a long running relationship with Broadcom, who were showing a lot of currently non-standard wireless technology at MWC.

satsuma    178

I am sure it's on their roadmap.

But I guess they will have to make sure it can fit inside their industrial designs without compromising them.

The there's performance too - I assume would the charging experience to be fast, efficient, etc.

RobM    195

Has there ever been a metal wireless charging device? All the ones I can think of are some form of plastic.