normal

News: Microsoft Launch the (Nokia) Lumia 530

normal    345

Microsoft are continuing the charge in the budget smartphone market with the new Lumia 530. Due for release on 4th September through all the usual networks and high street chains for £60.The odd thing about this in many ways for myself is how the press release never mentions the 'N' word, so although it pops up on Nokia's mobile website, the press release only talks about Microsoft's Lumia 530.

But I digress! I would imagine that these use the same fine plastics as in past generations. The phone receives a useful speed bump to a Snapdragon 200 processor (I bet you didn't know it was quad-core). It also has a 854x480 4" screen and a 5mp rear camera (no front camera). It also comes with 512mb RAM and 4GB of built in memory (supports up to 128GB micro SD cards).

What is missing from this handset which was first launched in developing countries, is the dual sim function which would have made this mildly interesting for budget smartphone people.

Naturally, people won't be using this for Microsoft's Skype (although it is included) or for Selfies, but then again, those people will probably be far more interested in what Microsoft has to say in two weeks from now......

Click here to view the news

Milhouse    355

Microsoft are continuing the charge in the budget smartphone market with the new Lumia 530. Due for release on 4th September through all the usual networks and high street chains for £60.The odd thing about this in many ways for myself is how the press release never mentions the 'N' word, so although it pops up on Nokia's mobile website, the press release only talks about Microsoft's Lumia 530.

Microsoft only have the right to use the Nokia brand on smartphones until 31 December 2015 (10 years on feature phones), so it makes sense to push the Nokia brand into the background as quickly as possible. I'd expect to see "Nokia" dropped from smartphone devices quite some time prior to the end of 2015.

normal    345

Many thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten about the expiry date on the name.

satsuma    178

Nice phone, decent price.

I am sure they can include a front-facing camera at that price and still make margin (in fact I know from personal experience they can)

Would get people using Skype more whihc surely is something MSFT wants?

normal    345

I was wondering about this, but I guess Skype can also be used as a voice service, but how many people do that? Skype is the default video chat option for most people, so omitting a front facing camera did seem a little odd.

satsuma    178

I use FaceTime for video chat and Skype if the other person doesn't use Apple.

I wouldn't even know what other video call service to use.

Maybe lower end h/w cannot handle video chat too reliably? I haven't looked into it in a while but seems to be a spurious reason to me.

normal    345

I very much doubt it, as even the poorest  modern chip is much more powerful than a top end chip only a couple of years ago, and we Skype'd on phones then...

satsuma    178

I very much doubt it, as even the poorest modern chip is much more powerful than a top end chip only a couple of years ago, and we Skype'd on phones then...

No I don't think it works like that.Although the clock speeds get faster and die size get smaller (giving you more bang, with less battery drainage for starters) the multimedia capabilities don't necessarily improve proportionally especially for video. That's dependent on GPU either integrated into the SOC or 'hacked on' into the integrated circuit.So for example the Tegra K1 licenses standard ARM A15 tech but it's integrated GPU has nearly 200 cores which theoretically give it multimedia performance superior to similar A15-based SOCsI've been out of the Qualcomm loop for a while now so I was wondering whether all/any of the Snapdragon 200 SOCs support video-calling out of the box or whether there was something in WP/MSFT that perhaps didn't support video calling with lower end processors?I am curious because I seem to remember the X2 also has a lower-end Snapdragon 200 and a front-facing camera but cannot recall whether it managed video-calling.

Milhouse    355

The Snapdragon 200 supports capture and playback of 720p video.

Video calling shouldn't be a problem for this device, but presumably Microsoft wanted to differentiate it from more expensive models, or maybe they had to cut a corner to save on the BoM.

Virtually every modern SoC with a camera interface is capable of video encode/decode and thus video calling. h264 video encode/decode is not always a GPU function, it can be accomplished by the camera interface/IVP and/or in software with NEON extensions. In the case of Snapdragon, the Hexagon DSP can handle h264 encode/decode, with the S200 also supporting DASH, which is handy for video calling. Of course it does require the SoC actually being connected to a front facing camera, which is the problem with this Lumia 530.

normal    345

The Snapdragon 200 supports capture and playback of 720p video.Video calling shouldn't be a problem for this device, but presumably Microsoft wanted to differentiate it from more expensive models, or maybe they had to cut a corner to save on the BoM.Virtually every modern SoC with a camera interface is capable of video encode/decode and thus video calling. h264 video encode/decode is not always a GPU function, it can be accomplished by the camera interface/IVP and/or in software with NEON extensions. In the case of Snapdragon, the Hexagon DSP can handle h264 encode/decode, with the S200 also supporting DASH, which is handy for video calling. Of course it does require the SoC actually being connected to a front facing camera, which is the problem with this Lumia 530.

Thank you for that. Now can anyone explain what Milhouse just said? :P

Milhouse    355

In a nutshell: "Even the lowest-end SoCs are capable of video calling (provided there is a camera attached)"