satsuma

What's going on at Sony thread

jonmorris    184

I'm sure a variant will come to the UK/Europe given selfies are now a 'thing'.

I've even taken one recently, and felt dirty! For years I've said how pointless a front facing camera is, and now it's suddenly essential. Heck, even my mum has taken one. Arggh!

satsuma    178

Been taking selfies since the old days of the Nokia 7650 by turning the phone around and deploying a trial and error technique.

I am surprised that flagship devices do not cater better for selfies; it's such a popular use case.

normal    346

Ok. I've also taken some selfies with myself and other people in the last few months.  :huh:

satsuma    178

And it's official.

• 5.5-inch 1280 x 720 HD Triluminos display 
  • 1.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
  • 1GB of RAM on board and 8GB of internal storage that is expandable by a further 32GB 
  • Android 4.4 KitKat
  • 2,500mAh battery
  •  8-megapixel snapper on the rear
  •  5MP wide-angle PRO-selfie camera on the front plus front flash

A number of pre-installed apps also reinforce the buzzword-heavy nature of the phone. Superior Auto on both front and rear cameras automatically adjusts settings for specific scenes, with four scene types for the "selfie" cam and 36 for the main.

Portrait Retouch v2 helps you adjust your selfie shots with preset options, including four natural looks for "guys" and six for women.

There are also a number of more generic camera applications and options, such as timeshift-burst, different picture effects, and movie creation app and panoramic photo mode.

Black, white and green models roll out n China in Agust and then globally.

MadDog    464

Looks like the smartwatch 3 has been leaked - general consensus is that it looks very 'Samsung' and people guessing it will run Android wear....which for me is disappointing as I like my 3-4 day battery life

Posted Image

A new waterproof tablet?

Posted Image

Also details of waterproofing on the new devices?

Posted Image

MadDog    464

Anyone would think that I've becoming a Sony fanatic!

New Sony QX1 style camera has been leaked over at experia blog, seems to show a pop-up flash and changeable lenses as well as possible sd card slot? I quite like the idea!

LINKY

Posted Image

Posted Image

Milhouse    355

A new waterproof tablet?

But why is it being held by a watch-wearing Gorilla? Or maybe it's a Yeti. 

Ok. I've also taken some selfies with myself and other people in the last few months. :huh:

Hopefully you were wearing clothes and didn't upload them to cloud storage! :)

kwingy    8

I just pre-ordered a Sony Z3 Compact - the promotion are a pair of noise cancelling headphones worth £50 can be bought with the phone for £1.

This is from Sony direct.

SteveyAsp    41

The Z3 Compact is worth getting if you like small phones with a high spec as there was no Z2 Compact but.....I can't see much difference between the Z2 and Z3.

Coming out now surely it should have included the Snapdragon 805 Processor.

There really was no need to bring the large Z3 to market with it's current internals

Shock    36

I was tempted by the Z3 but then realised it doesn't have wireless charging.. I've so gotten used to this, it's a must have feature for me now. Really disappointed that the Z3 & Z3 compact don't have this built in (rather than some stupid clunky case).

Also wished it has a processor update from Z2.

But I suppose there is always the Z4, with Sony it should be out in a few months.. Maybe even with qi charging..

jonmorris    184

The lack of Qi charging is a shame, but I use the excellent magnetic dock connector with a proper dock by the bed, and a simple magnetic charger that attaches to the side elsewhere. No need to open the flap at all then.

Almost as good. In fact, I think it charges quicker that way too.

Shock    36

True.. that is an option. Still silly that Sony didn't include qi charging..

jonmorris    184

Yes but then the Z3 was a very minor update. Even the Z2 didn't change a lot hardware wise. Pretty much just stereo speakers and a higher clock speed.

I guess that ruled out adding wireless charging.

mcgrad    74

John, what sort of battery life are you getting from the Z3? All the reviews state it is phononimal.

I was tempted by the 2014 X, but all the reviews are slamming the battery life, so I'm now leaning more towards the Z3.

jonmorris    184

John, what sort of battery life are you getting from the Z3? All the reviews state it is phononimal.I was tempted by the 2014 X, but all the reviews are slamming the battery life, so I'm now leaning more towards the Z3.

It's great, but I'm not sure it's much better than the Z2 even though all the reviews suggest it's like nothing else.

But that's simply because my Z2 was awesome in the battery department. Although I usually carry a portable battery charger pack, I rarely have to use it. The average is about 18 hours, with 4-5 hours of screen on (usage) time. Arguably a lot of this usage is for things like Tapatalk or emailing, rather than heavy duty gaming or watching movies, but it's still very good and means it lasts a full day every day.

The Z3 seems to be about the same, give or take. My phone is currently saying it averages 22 hours - but it's early days and I've not used it as much out and about yet, so the screen on time is lower. However, GSam battery monitor claims I am good for 22 hours battery with 6.5 hours screen on time. Not the 'easy two days' some people are saying, but I do use my phone a lot and suspect most people do. There is the Ultra Stamina mode option for times when you're away from any power source, but for me that's rather useless as I'm using data services nearly all the time.

I'll be able to test the phone out more on Friday when I set off for Cologne by train, which will mean a lot more usage and screen on time.

jonmorris    184

Bar the stereo speakers, you'll probably not feel you are getting anything that new over the Z1. The battery is better, but everything else is the same more or less.

The Z3 looks and feels different, appears to have better battery life (due to a better screen and/or the way the hardware outputs to the display, supposedly saving power when the image isn't changing - although I'm not sure quite how that works) and is thinner. It has better audio recording in noisy environments, thanks to gain control - although that might be coming to the Z2 in the forthcoming 4.4.4 update.

Price wise, the Z3 seems to be falling in price so there's not such a big difference and that could be the swinger.

Or you could just keep your Z1 until the next 'big' update that will move on from Snapdragon 800/801 to something far more powerful, and possibly introduce an all-new camera sensor.

That would be my professional advice. But the honest, geek, advice? Get the Z3! :)

MadDog    464

Ha ha - cheers Jon - house is currently bleeding me dry and I need to shift 3 BB Q10's to fund the next phone I think

TheSuper    2

So does anyone know or have any insider gossip as to what's going on with the Sony Xperia Z4?

It was assumed they would debut it at MWC like they have done with their previous Xperia line but i think they've already said there won't be any new hardware at the event in March. So with HTC and Samsung getting ready to announce their 2015 Snapdragon 810 flagships at MWC will Sony stand a chance with the Z4?

TheSuper    2

Given the state of the Sony mobile business, will there ever be a Z4...?

This year, yes.

Will there be a Z5? That'll be harder to answer.