normal

What's Going on at Nokia / Microsoft / Windows Phone Thread

kradcliffe    152

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/25/11766344/microsoft-nokia-impairment-layoffs-may-2016

No surprise there then ..... but it's not really all over as they are still looking to release a surface phone in the future.

Microsoft is signalling the end of its Nokia experiment today. After acquiring Nokia's phone business for $7.2 billion two years ago, Microsoft wrote off $7.6 billion last year and cut 7,800 jobs to refocus its phone efforts. Microsoft is now writing off an additional $950 million today as part of its failed Nokia acquisition, and the company plans to cut a further 1,850 jobs. Most of the layoffs will affect employees at Microsoft's Mobile division in Finland, with 1,350 job losses there and 500 globally. Around $200 million of the $950 million impairment charge is being used for severance payments.

jonmorris    184

If they don't want the Surface name to be tarnished I suspect they shouldn't go ahead with a phone. It isn't going to turn things around.

Unless they switch to Android and fill it with all the Microsoft services/apps.

But, anyone know how well BlackBerry is doing since the Priv launched?

Milhouse    355

I wonder who owns the camera tech, presumably Nokia have all the IP if they want to differentiate in future. Microsoft have probably laid off the PureView engineers, or they've walked. Incredible that such a well regarded feature has utterly stagnated under Microsoft.

kradcliffe    152

Exactly. The PureView IP would certainly have been of interest to possibly LG, Samsung or Apple. Yet again proof that pretty much everything M$ touches turns to crap. How they are still in business just amazes me.

Losing close to 10 billion on something they have had only a couple of years is bad business full stop.

Jimbo    19

The brand or the technology? The software is baked into Windows Mobile, as cam be seen with the 950. Pretty sure the hardware IP is licensed by Nokia much like the IP for HD audio.

mcgrad    74

Windows phone is officially dead.

"Worldwide smartphone sales increased by nearly 4 percent in the recent quarter, but Microsoft's Windows Phone OS failed to capitalize on the growth and dropped below 1 percent market share."

"Gartner estimates that nearly 2.4 million Windows Phones were sold in the latest quarter, around 0.7 percent market share overall"

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/23/11743594/microsoft-windows-phone-market-share-below-1-percent

Milhouse    355

The brand or the technology? The software is baked into Windows Mobile, as cam be seen with the 950. Pretty sure the hardware IP is licensed by Nokia much like the IP for HD audio.

The software may be baked in but PureView was really about the hardware (sensors) yet you hear nothing about either these days even though Microsoft still blather on about "differentiating" while doing nothing of the sort.Though given the loss Microsoft make on practically every Windows Phone device they could probably ill afford further investment in expensive and potentially risky hardware, particularly when the mobile market is already lost to Windows Phone and no amount of high-end hardware will turn its fortunes around.

mcgrad    74

How is a Gartnwr report official?

Microsoft may not have officially killed it, but the market has.

SteveyAsp    41

I wonder who owns the camera tech, presumably Nokia have all the IP if they want to differentiate in future. Microsoft have probably laid off the PureView engineers, or they've walked. Incredible that such a well regarded feature has utterly stagnated under Microsoft.

Did the head honcho from Nokia/Microsoft in charge of the camera technology not defect to Apple about 18 Months ago?I seem to remember it being reported and people getting excited. I'm pretty sure it was also reported that it would take a couple of years for his work to make into their hardware

kradcliffe    152

All the sly malware type practices that MS are deploying to "force install" Windows 10 on unsuspecting punters machines can't be helping one little bit.

I used to have so much admiration for MS (around 20 years ago) but now I totally despise them as a company.

Allowing the Win 10 install to go ahead after a user has pressed the red X dismiss box even breaks their own Windows Certification rules. That's how bad they have become in their desperation to force this unwanted "free" OS on people.

Milhouse    355

I disabled system updates a few months ago on my Windows 7 machine and glad I did. Just last week I took a look at the outstanding updates and tried to manually install them but every time it started by trying to install Windows 10...in the end I gave up, I'll take a risk on security rather than that nonsense.

A friend of mine (whose machine I built and on which I installed Win7 a couple of years ago) also called me last week to say he'd accidentally started the Windows 10 installation - he was a bit pee'd off as he didn't want it. Mostly it worked, but his dual screens were messed up, and he doesn't like Win 10 but I suspect he'll get used to it (not that he's got any choice, now). I'm sure he's not the only one to have been caught out by that. It really is a dirty trick from Microsoft that has probably caused a fair amount of unnecessary distress to unsuspecting users.

I can't see myself installing Windows (any version) ever again. Gaming would be just about the only reason to continue with Windows but I'm hoping that won't be necessary in the not too distant future - I'm sure this is why a lot of people have stuck by Windows. Should my current Windows machine die it's going to be some form of Linux as a replacement - Ubuntu now offers a perfectly good desktop experience that isn't too hard for a Windows user to learn.

jonmorris    184

I loaded Chrome the other day and a pop up came from the bottom inviting me to try the Edge browser. Has is it come to this now for Microsoft?

Edge is a good browser but I don't use it for other reasons, so I really don't appreciate new and annoying ways to convince me to switch. Will I get told about OneDrive next time I use Dropbox?

kradcliffe    152

So Microsoft have bought Linkedin for stupid money. They'll never learn.

Linkedin already hassles you to death to upgrade features. I can only imagine it'll get far worse when M$ take over and you'll get Windows 10 force installed when you log in.

kradcliffe    152

I really wonder what the hell happens in that company. They should really concentrate on getting Windows 10 in a state that people will actually want before willy waving and buying companies to kill them.

As I have said for many years, they have absolutely no strategy.

Milhouse    355

They most certainly do have a strategy - it's to buy themselves a future in which they are still relevant. What this strategy shows is that internally they have nothing in development, no big ideas, that would otherwise make this happen so they have to pay obscene amounts of money for loss-making existing businesses in order to acquire vast quantities of our personal data in the hope that we then stay locked-in at the Enterprise level to the Microsoft platform.

Microsoft knows that the Enterprise world underpins their entire business model - lose the Enterprise and the consumer desktop market will surely follow, rendering Microsoft totally irrelevant. Buying businesses rather than innovating is a risky strategy, never more so than now with these ridiculous valuations, and one I'm not convinced will pay off certainly not to the tune of $26Bn.

kradcliffe    152

Well I have just deleted my Linkedin profile.

DWS Lite can help on my PC by shutting down all the telemetry but I'm not overly chuffed about MS having access to all my data on Linkedin.

One step too far this time. 

Jimbo    19

Well I have just deleted my Linkedin profile. DWS Lite can help on my PC by shutting down all the telemetry but I'm not overly chuffed about MS having access to all my data on Linkedin. One step too far this time.

LOL! Surprised you even had an account, after they got hacked in 2012. And what do you think linkedin did with your data before they were bought? For MS, the value of the data is keeping it in house, rather than spaffing it all over the Internet.

kradcliffe    152

MS have finally released Cortana for Android & iOS 

Do they really think anyone would voluntarily install a slurping assistant on a non-MS device. Given there are loads of tools for hosts and firewall exceptions for Windows itself I can guess the answer.

Are they for real?