normal

What's Going on at Nokia / Microsoft / Windows Phone Thread

Milhouse    355

Can't see that ever paying off - VR could become very popular but the hardware will be cheap as chips eventually, and the technology Oculus have doesn't seem to be any better than what Steam and others - even Sony and Samsung - have also demonstrated (CastAR looks quite good - both VR and AR).

normal    346

And so it begins. Facebook has developed a new partnership with Here for mobiles to give Facebook more accurate location information.

RobM    195

Next step, navigation to your Facebook Events built-in to the Facebook app.

Milhouse    355

German car makers preparing formal bid for HERE, with China's Baidu (WSJ)

Now that it's obvious the car manufacturers are desperate for HERE not to fall into the wrong hands, maybe Nokia should just keep it and charge more for their autombile services...

RobM    195

That would depend on Nokia's motivation; securing medium-term income or making a quick buck. I suspect it's the latter, sadly.

normal    346

Microsoft have gone and bought Swiftkey. I don't know what to make of that given MS's talent for f*cking things up. I really like swiftkey.....

kradcliffe    153

And all your typed words, phrases and predictive text going back to the MS mothership. 

Yet another great Android app going to bite the dust. Sigh. 

RobM    195

They bought the app now known as Outlook and frankly that's superb. Don't write it all off just yet.

normal    346

They also own Sunrise calendar which is superb but hasn't changed since they bought it

RobM    195

Didn't they roll some of that app into Outlook though? I'm sure elements have been merged. They haven't updated the app itself, granted, but they've made good use of it's ideas.

Rvn    103

Just read about one of the original directors of Swiftkey who sold his shares for a bike. The shares would have been worth $25m. Ouch!

RobM    195

Seems a good fit on the face of it. Withings probably found they had gone as far as they could without either raising significant funds, or being acquired.

hecatae    9

Windows 10 Mobile is so pretty, slow on my Lumia 520.

Anyway, I like Here apps, on the device, downloadable usable in no data coverage, no gps makes it more difficult, also have them on my Samsung S6.

But reading around the interwebs, from the 30 June 2016, Here apps will no longer work on Windows 10 Mobile.

The official blurb is here: http://360.here.com/2016/03/15/important-information-about-here-apps-on-windows-phone/

In the last few months, we made the HERE apps compatible with Windows 10 by using a workaround that will no longer be effective after June 30, 2016. To continue offering the HERE apps for Windows 10 would require us to redevelop the apps from the ground up, a scenario that led to the business decision to remove our apps from the Windows 10 store.

and then this bit:

This means the HERE apps will no longer work on devices running Windows 10 mobile after June 30, 2016. To prepare for this change, we have also decided to remove the HERE apps from the Windows 10 store on March 29, 2016.

So Drive+ and Transit no longer work, on Windows 10 Mobile, but they still work on Windows Phone 8...

HERE is deeply integrated in the Windows Phone 8 operating system. The HERE apps for Windows Phone 8 will continue to work for you without any disruption. However, we made the business decision to stop the development of new features. Additionally, the maps developed specifically for Windows Phone will not be updated.

But the maps wont be updated, yay.

But the apps still work on Android and IOS, why is that?

Back in August 2015, HERE was sold for EUR 2.8 Billion to AUDI AG, BMW Group and Daimler AG, see here: http://company.nokia.com/en/news/press-releases/2015/08/03/nokia-completes-next-stage-of-transformation-with-agreement-to-sell-here-to-automotive-industry-consortium-at-an-enterprise-value-of-eur-28-billion

I have been looking for this news on Mobile and Gadget, but could not find it

Milhouse    355

Just shows you how irrelevant the Windows 10 Phone/Mobile market is when a very large software developer is unable to justify redeveloping their app. Presumably they've made the decision to pull the app 3 months before they absolutely have to because hardly anyone will be inconvenienced.

normal    346

Pretty much that. Windows Phone sales figures pretty much halve each year. The only question left now is when will Microsoft kill it officially.

normal    346

The only surprise was that it didn't happen earlier this year. I am right in understanding that only feature phones will appear this year?

Milhouse    355

Nokia finally switches to Android - only 5 years too late.

So Foxconn are buying the feature phone business from Microsoft - anyone know the price, is it $1? That really was a disastrous buy for Microsoft, classic Balmer - the cost of buying the business, then laying everyone off, now unloading the feature phone business that wasn't a good fit and was never going to be profitable for them (not that the remaining smartphone business is likely to make them any money either).

Clearly HMD and Foxconn still think there's life in the feature phone market - I wonder what they consider a feature phone to be these days? An S40-type device, or low-end/disposable Android (X1)?

And HMD will be run by former Microsoft Mobile execs - rats leaving the sinking ship?

Milhouse    355

The only surprise was that it didn't happen earlier this year. I am right in understanding that only feature phones will appear this year?

The Nokia brand on smartphones reverted to Nokia after December 2015, so HMD are free to use the Nokia brand on smartphones any time now but presumably it will take a while to prepare a launch (although surely that would have been in the planning stages a while already).The feature phone business (once the Microsoft/Foxconn deal closes in H2) will just continue as normal, I'd guess - a change of ownership to Foxconn, the same Nokia branding, so yes there should be feature phones this year even if they're just the same products as before. Is the feature phone business still based on Asha?There probably won't be any new Nokia/HMD/Foxconn products until next year, unless there's been a lot of skunk-works activity. Although maybe they'll be able to get a flagship smartphone out in time for Christmas (ie. October/November), that would be my target.

Milhouse    355

Foxconn picking up the feature phone business from Microsoft for $350m, according to The Verge. This business was worth over $300Bn before a decade of managerial blunders.

Milhouse    355

"HMD is owned by Smart Connect LP, a private equity fund managed by Jean-Francois Baril, a former Nokia executive, as well as by HMD management."

So basically, HMD is owned and managed - more-or-less - by ex-Nokians.

HMD is buying the Nokia branding and design rights for feature phones from Microsoft, while the more expensive (to run) and riskier manufacturing, global distribution, fulfilment and supply chain networks go to Foxconn who will now make and distribute everything for HMD. Meanwhile, Nokia cream off a fee with next to no risk or involvement. All sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me, particularly for Nokia.

Any bets on how long it takes until HMD (Nokia) smartphones eclipse Lumia in terms of unit sales? 6 months doesn't sound too unreasonable...

Posted Image