normal

What's Going on at Nokia / Microsoft / Windows Phone Thread

normal    346

It looks like Microsoft may be planning a new 3D UI to be released this autumn along with a Lumia 1020 successor. I'm not sure if this is going to add anything or not, or if it's just going to be some sort of gimmick. I guess we'll see soon enough.

satsuma    178

It looks like Microsoft may be planning a new 3D UI to be released this autumn along with a Lumia 1020 successor. I'm not sure if this is going to add anything or not, or if it's just going to be some sort of gimmick. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Given some of the very clever stuff that MSFT Kinect technology is capable of, I am taking this seriously.

If implemented reasonably well it has the potential to be a significant leap forward in the development of touch-based UI.

I guess Amazon are hinting at something similar as well for their announcement on June 18th.

Another article on this over at Windows Phone Central.

RobM    195

I hope they take their time to mature the ideas and implementation before launching it, or else it could go straight to gimmicky (like most 3D things). I can see some benefit on a larger device, but on a small handheld device that is naturally held in the hand, therefore the same distance away from your other hand, touch is still the most natural interface.

But on a larger device, a tablet maybe that can be used handheld, on a desk, on your lap etc, the idea could be interesting. The 'Mix View' could work well.

Milhouse    355

I wonder what battery life is like with all these additional cameras and sensors analysing motion and depth. Shite, I should imagine.

jonmorris    184

Just downloaded and installed. Nice idea to learn what you use most, but it also means things keep moving so I think I'd very quickly get frustrated.

The app launcher page is also one huge list (ala Windows Phone) which is not a feature I'd be keen to port. In fact, I wish WP 8.1 could show smaller icons in a grid!

satsuma    178

And now MSFT are readying their own wearable.

Rather predictably it will display notifications and also act as a fitness band.

Less predictably it's rumoured to work with iPhone, Android and WP. Good move by MSFT.

Jimbo    19

Yes, by installing Android on them. We know about the dual boot plans, and we know about X2/Green.

normal    346

The Xbox remains key according to the missive, but I'm trying to work out WTF just happened. It's a bit like Elop's burning platform, or Ratner's selling 'junk'. I'm struggling to believe Gates is fine with this. Microsoft is wanting to take on Google effectively head on. I'm trying to work out what Microsoft does with Nokia and the Surface. One minute Microsoft is the next Apple, now it's the next Google. It's more like it's the next dead giant.

Milhouse    355

I think it's an admission that Windows/Windows Phone isn't the be-all and end-all, which is at least acknowledging reality. However if I was a former Nokia-now-Microsoft employee, I'd be making sure my CV was fully up to date.

RobM    195

How do Microsoft think they'll become a world-leader in productivity for cloud and mobile platforms, if they're continuously fighting the provider of the worlds biggest (by device count) mobile OS?

My over-riding feeling of this, is Microsoft have failed to excel in any one area they've been involved with, primarily because Microsoft do not know who they are. There has been no single vision of Microsoft for as long as I care to remember. How do you get a huge worldwide workforce behind multiple ideas that change, change and change again as time goes on.

satsuma    178

Microsoft is cutting 18,000 jobs. 13,000 will be Nokia. Nokia X (Android) dead in the water.

We plan to shift select Nokia X product designs to become Lumia products running Windows

Edited by satsuma

jonmorris    184

Great letter from Elop too. Still, he did okay from it all.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Accel    2

So, is it worth getting an X for anything? Or will they stop ALL THE THINGS?

Seems like the N9 all over again, sort of....

normal    346

Are Microsoft creating the Internet of Nothing? It's got to be a fair old kick in the goolies for many Microsoft and Nokia employees. One change of CEO and 18,000 jobs go. If the CEO effs up and gets pushed, he'll get a nice pay off, another CEO is appointed and the whole merry go round starts again. That's how all failing multinationals work.

Isn't the point of Nokia X to offer the Windows Phone experience in Android and get them to use Windows? What is there to move from Nokia X to WP? It's an emulator.